Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Buried Embers by Alex Sigmore

 Calla Rowe tried to leave fire investigation behind. Then the fire came looking for her.


When I saw Buried Embers by Alex Sigmore available on NetGalley, I hit the request button so fast I may have left scorch marks. I've read several of Sigmore's books and thoroughly enjoyed them, so my expectations were high. Apparently, I needn't have worried. I found this to be a five-star, I'll-sleep-when-I'm-dead kind of read.

Calla Rowe was once an ATF fire investigator, until a fire killed her partner and mentor and changed everything. Haunted by his death and convinced she needs to get away from the life she once knew, Calla retreats to a remote cabin near the small town of Pinecrest, Oregon. Then a wildfire breaks out nearby, and Calla's expertise tells her something isn't right. Before long, she's back doing what she does best: investigating fire. And that leads to questioning everything she thought she knew about the blaze that killed her partner.

One of my favorite things about this book was the fire investigation itself. I read a lot of crime thrillers, and let's face it, I encounter plenty of serial killers with ropes, knives, guns, and assorted personality disorders. Wildfire and arson investigation gave this one a completely different feel. The details about fire behavior and determining how and why a fire started were fascinating without overwhelming the story. Calla's respect for the environment was another aspect of her character I particularly appreciated.

I wasn't completely sold on Calla at first. She spends a little too much time in the beginning reminding herself (and me) that she's been running away from her problems. At some point I wanted to tell her to get a therapist, and if she already had one, get another. Problems don't generally solve themselves through prolonged wallowing. 

Fortunately, Calla eventually comes to much the same conclusion, and that's when she really grew on me. Once there was work to be done, I saw exactly why she had been so good at her job. She's smart and highly skilled, respects the law, knows fire, and has a stubborn streak that serves her very well when things get dangerous.

I also really liked Beks from the FBI. She provides both friendship and professional support, including access to resources Calla no longer has after leaving the ATF. Their relationship worked particularly well for me because Beks doesn't swoop in and solve everything. Calla still has to do the work; Beks simply gives her a connection to the professional world Calla left behind.

And that plot ... Sigmore got me. I didn't figure it out. Even better, the mystery becomes bigger as the story progresses, and while I got enough answers to feel satisfied, I was left with the distinct impression that there is much more to Calla's story. If Sigmore decides to go through that door, I'll be the first in line with my book money.

Buried Embers should appeal to readers who enjoy fast-paced crime thrillers, strong female investigators, law-enforcement stories, outdoor settings, and mysteries involving specialized investigative work. The wildfire and arson angle makes it stand out in a very crowded thriller field.

Content warnings include murder, death by fire/burning, arson, wildfire danger, grief and trauma, and peril.

Five stars. Alex Sigmore cost me sleep again. Apparently, I'm okay with that.

Thank you to HarperCollins and NetGalley for providing an advance copy of Buried Embers in exchange for my honest review.

Professional Reader 25 Book Reviews