Saturday, October 10, 2026

The Simple Truth by David Baldacci

Two brothers, two storylines, and one thoroughly confused listener.


I have enjoyed quite a few books by David Baldacci, so I had high hopes for The Simple Truth. Unfortunately, this one just wasn't working for me.

The story goes back and forth between two brothers, and I found myself constantly trying to figure out which one I was listening to at any given moment. By the time I sorted that out, we'd moved on again. Somewhere along the way, I lost the plot. Possibly more than one.

I don't necessarily think this is a bad book. I think it's a book that would work better for me in print. When I'm reading, I can flip back a few pages, double-check who's who, and get myself straightened out. Audiobooks aren't quite so forgiving, especially when I'm trying to follow the story while doing something else.

And frankly, listening to a book shouldn't feel like taking a pop quiz on character identification.

So I'm calling this one a DNF, but only for the audiobook version. I'm not ruling out picking up the print edition someday, because I suspect there's a perfectly good Baldacci story buried beneath my confusion.

Sometimes it's not the book. Sometimes it's the format. And sometimes you just need to know which brother you're dealing with!