Wanted Stephanie Plum. Got a chaotic treasure hunt that forgot to be funny.
When I saw Janet Evanovich's name on the cover, I expected something along the lines of Stephanie Plum: An entertaining heroine, ridiculous situations, and plenty of laughs. Unfortunately, The Recovery Agent never delivered on any of that for me.
Gabriela Rose is a recovery agent searching for the legendary Ring of Solomon. Unfortunately, a cult leader believes the ring holds the power of a god and is determined to get it first. What follows is a globe-trotting adventure full of chases, danger, and escalating chaos.
The problem was that none of the chaos worked for me. Stephanie Plum's world is outrageous, but it's also funny. Gabriela's adventures just felt implausible without the humor to make me buy into them. I never connected with the characters, and the plot became increasingly over-the-top without ever becoming entertaining.
I honestly should have DNF'd this one around the halfway point, but I kept hoping it would finally click. It never did.
