Friday, August 14, 2026

I will miss you, my friend.

I first met Teri in 2012, when I joined Mensa and decided to attend a board meeting as my first “event.” (I guess my idea of fun isn’t the same as everyone else’s.) She instantly recognized me, even though we had never met before. She said, “You must be Michael’s sister!” and I sat beside her for the meeting. We didn’t really become close until after her stroke. That was when I discovered that we had some things in common … and some very different ideas about music. I discovered that she was a fan of soft rock, whereas I am an AC/DC and Metallica fan - the louder, the better.

One day, her sisters Marian and Shirley and I were all sitting around her hospital bed talking about music, and Shirley began playing Jim Croce or Dan Fogelberg, something in that genre. Teri said, “Shirley, why don’t you put on something that Serena would enjoy?” I tried to talk her out of it, but she insisted. Well, no good deed goes unpunished! Her sister Marian and I sang along loudly with “Highway to Hell.” Teri listened to us as non-judgmentally as anyone could, and about half-way through the song, said, “Shirley, what else do you have?” We laughed until our bellies hurt.

I will always remember that day and the laughter that came with it. She was so sweet, had an incredibly bone-dry sense of humor, and gave me some wonderful memories. I will miss her.

 

https://www.legacy.com/person/teri-diana-prentiss-(marie)-62124702