Sunday, May 18, 2008

The end is near...

Well, this semester is almost over. I have a Nutrition class to take over the summer and four more classes to take in the fall, and then I will have (finally!) achieved my Associates in Business Administration. One of my friends told me, "I have one of those and it didn't help me a bit!", so I am not stopping here.

I am looking into Jones International University, University of Phoenix or Western Governors University to further my education with a Bachelors in Finance. All are regionally accredited, which I understand is very important and even necessary if I am going to move on to obtain a Masters. If anyone has any advice, or even knows of another institution I should look into, please feel free to comment! I am a member of phi theta kappa, so if anyone knows of an institution that offers a discount in tuition for that, I am all ears.

lbawden said...
It's awesome you're going to continue your schooling! I know it's a tough decision with considerations of time and money. I made that decision when my kids were little and though it was a sacrifice, it was worth it.

I happen to work for one of the universities you mentioned, and am somewhat familiar with each of them. They're all good, quality programs, so looks like you've done a good job of narrowing it down. I would suggest a little further investigation into each to see what will be the best fit for you. If you prefer a classroom environment, Jones may work better for you, UofP has both online and physical campuses. If you prefer online plus a more flexible schedule and you're an independent learner, you may like WGU. All 3 options accept transfer credits and offer financial aid assistance, but WGU has an edge on the tuition, as it is non-profit and tends to have tuition that can sometimes be even half of what for-profit institutions offer for comparable programs.

If you're looking to take a few classes, Jones or UofP may be the better choice. WGU only offers full degree programs.

One last item, WGU starts new students at the beginning of every month (you don't have to wait for a new quarter/semester). Also, their semesters are longer--6 months and they charge a flat rate tuition per term no matter how much of your program you complete. So if you can get more done in a term, it costs you less and you can graduate faster.

I hope this helps, best of luck!
Lori

Serena said...
It does - Thank you so much!