Sunday, September 21, 2008

Hook, Line and Sinker

At the dealership, I was telling the salesman what I wanted/needed in the car I was about to buy. I knew, from research, that the Aveo was available in either a 4-door sedan or a 5-door hatchback.

The saleman looked at me and said, "So, how many doors do you need?"

I looked at Ian, looked back at the salesman and said, "Really, I only need one. He can slide across the seat."

The salesman didn't miss a beat. "One it is, then! Or, even better, you could drop him in the sunroof!"

"Yeah! I'd have to stop feeding him, though, so he doesn't get too big."

"You're right." He looks at Ian and says, "And carbs put weight on you, so no more macaroni and cheese for you!"

Ian looked absolutely stricken. As we were biking home from the dealership, my beautiful little boy said, "Mommy, can we please get two doors on the car?" It was all I could do not to laugh. I said sure, and we left it at that.

A few days later, I picked up the car, and Ian was thrilled to discover it was the 5-door hatchback. Joe from the Deli asked him, "Hey! I thought it was supposed to have only 1 door! How'd you get your Mom to get all those doors?" Ian just grinned and said, "I don't know! She just did!"

He's going to need psychotherapy when he grows up, I just know it.