Friday, July 16, 2010

Sound of Silence

It was somewhere around 1974. I was young and following around my big brother like a puppy. He was learning how to play guitar from records, and he had a bunch of 45's that I sooooo wanted.

Finally, after what seemed like days and days of asking and begging and maybe even a little whining ("Are you done with that one yet? Can I have it? When will you be done with it?" or something like that), he gave me my first 45.

Wow.

My very own 45.

He was my Hero.

He gave me Sound of Silence, backed with Homeward Bound, by Simon & Garfunkel. And every time I hear it, I think of him. My big brother. :)




In fact, I can hear him now. Shaking his head, stomping his foot, covering his eyes with his hand and saying, "Oh, god, I can't stand it!" :D I love you, Obiwan.

Larissa said...

I too have fond memories of that song and my brother. I have extremely few memories of Mike. He left home when I was 6. I downloaded that song to my iTunes because every time I hear it, as clear as day, I can still see myself sitting at my brother's feet absorbing every stroke of the strings thinking he could do anything.

Serena said...

And at the time, he had no idea. :)