Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Disney Auditions ?

It was a scam. And if I'd had time to think about it, I should have known. I am kicking myself big time, and have a sad little boy on my hands, too.

The commercial itself was a picture of the initial scene from Suite Life on Deck, gave the phone number a couple times and said something about becoming a big star. It left no doubt in your mind that you were going to be auditioning for Disney.

I called the number where a fast-speaking woman gave me a date, time and appointment, told me to bring two recent photos of my child, dress to impress, and would not answer any of my questions - would not even let me get a question out. I was immediately transferred to a recording with the address and directions, which was the Conference Center in Niagara Falls.

We went to the conference center, and I was given a fancy brochure to "read when I got home". Why wait until I got home? I read it right there, and got really ticked off. I asked three parents around me, "I thought this was for Disney?" And they assured me it was. I said it isn't, pointed to the place in the brochure where it talks about their fee, and a few other parents got ticked off, too. I guess I'm just a trouble maker at heart.

The whole circus is actually put on by for a company called "The" (pronounced "tay"). Their company name was not obvious in any of their television or radio commercials. Neither Ian nor I even heard it mentioned.

We were shown a video about how wonderful they are, and their spokesperson on the video is one of the actors from a Disney show. (The first of two places Disney actually enters into this.) The 'The' personnel were accompanied by a man who said he was a casting agent from Hollywood. He actually may have been, to give this farce some semblance of authenticity. We were "interviewed". Ian was asked why he wanted to do this, and he said because he wants to become an actor, make lots of money, and help people in Japan. (He's a good kid.) They asked me why I thought they should work with my son. I said because he's a good kid. The only reason I didn't say "because I'd be paying you to" was because Ian was right there and so excited about auditioning. It occurred to me later that they count on that; there are parents who will do absolutely anything for their children.

We were then directed to the camera area, where Ian was asked to read a short commercial on script. He had it memorized, got up in front of a horribly bright light, and froze. He ended up reading it off the paper. Poor kid. And then we left.

As we were walking out, Ian said he didn't think he would get a call back because he blew it in front of the camera. And I then had to explain to him that wasn't the real reason he wouldn't get a call back. The minimum amount I would have to pay is $3000, which would get Ian two workshops in their 'Event' which is held at Disney. (That's second of only two places Disney actually enters into this.)

They are actually selling packages of what amounts to workshops to teach kids how to act. They claim at the end of the week the kids will be seen by 50 casting agents and directors who will offer more callbacks, which is supposed to make this worth it. The package I am pretty sure they want every one to buy is $7950 for 10 workshops with an additional $895 if your child is a minor.

Ian is extremely disappointed. I'll know better next time. The biggest thing I told Ian is that if he was going to be 'hired' for a show, they would pay him, not the other way around.

Today, I searched for this company online. Try googling "The" and see where it gets you. I ended up googling "The Auditions" and got a link to Yahoo Answers. 'Kittysue' says:

"It's a scam. You are not auditioning for Disney. You are auditioning for some expensive school that has misrepresented themselves so you think you are auditioning for Disney. Everyone who auditions gets called the next day saying they were amazing and have been accepted into their training, which of course will cost you over $2000 for classes. And guess what, you pay for those classes then wonder where the Disney auditions are. All you learn from the classes is that if you want to audition for Disney, your parents are going to have to move to LA where all the auditions happen and you are going to have to find an agent."

'R K' also says:

"This is a scam. Disney doesn't charge for auditions, no one does. Disney auditions are in LA through an agent, they're not open calls you could find on your own. If this was a real audition you would know exactly what part you were trying for, not just for something in general."

What I found interesting is you don't find out until you get there that it (1) isn't for Disney, and (2) costs money. A very well-thought-out scam, as most of them are.


Michael said...

There was a long segment on TV here that summed up to the same point - if if's legit, it doesn't cost any money up front.

In another "sting" program recently done by (60 minutes? "What Would You Do?" Can't remember the show) parents 1. allowed their kids to be left alone with a complete stranger ("photographer"), 2. agreed to cosmetic surgery on their kids, 3. agreed to extreme diet regimens - all for the promise of a shot at fame & fortune. You're right - some people will do absolutely ANYTHING to get a foot in the door, even things that are shockingly dangerous.

The sickest part is that when you listen to the kids themselves talk about their "dreams" and "goals," you can hear the coaching. Let's face it - an 8 year old does NOT have any idea what is important in life, or what they want to do for the rest of it. But they certainly know that it pleases mommy when they parrot those ambitions.

Serena says:

You are so right. I've spent so much time over the past few days trying to convince Ian he really doesn't want to be an actor..."Honey, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of actors that never make it to TV. Find an ambition that will support you. You will need to eat. There is a reason they are called 'starving artists'."

Right now he wants to be an actor just because he thinks it's glamorous and fun. I'm trying to lean him in other directions. But you should have heard some of the other parents there! I was shocked. It made me wonder...who really wants to be the actor? Mom or daughter?

I filed a complaint with the Children's Advertising Review Unit of the Better Business Bureau. Nothing will probably come of it, but it made me feel marginally better.