Saturday, August 05, 2006

Rethinking things.

I lay in bed at night sometimes thinking about writing. Sometimes I will wake up thinking, "I should write a blog entry about this or that." Now, I have a notepad by my bed so I can write things down that wake me out of a sound sleep at 2:00 a.m., but do I write these ideas down? No. Without fail, I say to myself, "Ah, it's not that important...it's just a blog entry...I'll remember tomorrow." And I never do.

I need to readjust my thinking.

Maybe these things are not important to others, and in 100 years, no one may care, but right now, in my reality, this is important.

Writing is important. Expressing myself is important.

Repeat after me..."I am important."

I will start writing down those 2:00 a.m. ideas.

Michael said...
One of the most important people in my college experience was Dr. Joan Roberts, who taught “Introduction to Poetry.” She encouraged us to take our writing seriously, to honor it, and keep it in a notebook. She also encouraged us to save all of our efforts, as opposed to throwing things away that we judged unworthy, because saving all of our efforts creates a concrete record of our improvement as writers. It also creates a reservoir of ideas from which to launch future efforts.

Before I took that class, it never occurred to me that the attempts I was making at poetry were worth keeping, and taking her advice (along with other class lessons and activities) improved my writing dramatically.

Serena said ...

I am looking forward to my English Composition class this semester. When I make the time to write, I do actually enjoy it. It's the 'making time' part that's tricky.