Monday, June 25, 2007

Promotions

On the last day of school, I received a return call from Ian's teacher. I wanted to know the outcome of his benchmark scores so I would be able to buy or borrow appropriate reading material over the summer - difficult enough to keep him challenged, but not so difficult that he gets frustrated and loses interest. She said he is definitely reading above his grade level, and she off-handedly mentioned that I might want to consider moving him up to third grade.

I have quite a few problems with that. First, he already started Kindergarten early. If he progresses normally, he will graduate at 17, which is young, but not too young. If I have him advanced now, he will graduate at an even younger age, and speaking as a 16-year-old graduate, it ain't fun. Second, he has a social life. School isn't just about learning the '3 r's', it's about learning to socialize with your peers also. I don't want to rip him away from that.

My gut says no, leave him where he is, and continue to challenge him at home and encourage the teachers (by nagging if necessary) to challenge him in school.

What do you think? I can't afford private school...

Melissa said...
Kelly, as an education graduate, I say you are exactly right! First, always go with your gut, and there is no need to rush his education. As long as you continue to challenge him at home, he will not miss out on anything educationally by staying right where he is. Also, in the long run he will benefit more by sticking with the friends he has currently made in his current grade. You never want to put undue stress on a child in terms of their peers. He worked hard to build the relationships he has made with them and will be happier in the long run just maintaning those freindships. I hope this helps!!! :) Melissa

Serena (Kelly) said...

It does, thank you. I think you are right, school is about friendships, too. I want him to be well-rounded, not just "book smart".

Michael said...

Keeping him challenged at home can NEVER make up for hours of boredom at school, and the constant dumbing down that you have to do so that you are not a threat to all the mouth breathers who never miss an opportunity to slam you into a wall because you know how to pronounce a five-syllable word. Such as delicatessen.

Sorry, but I had enough “waiting for the challenged” to last me for more than one lifetime, and it took me years to get past the bad attitude I developed toward education as a result.

Move him up, because it will better prepare him for the world of work by encouraging his mind to grow, and giving him a deeper foundation for upcoming skill sets. The social stuff is far, far less important, and he will be encouraged to better study habits and higher levels of thought by being among others who are also capable of more.
6/28/2007 10:14 PM

Michael said...
Another thing – you were a 16-year-old grad in a family that did not value education. Ian will face none of the lack of support and backward ideas that were the bane of your journey.

Ian will make friends no matter where he lands. But he needs to be encouraged away from the Buffalo ethos of mediocrity.

Trust me - the Asian folks whose kids come here, learn a new language, and thenm proceed to decimate us in Math & Science do not put social factors ahead of hard skills.

You have to have something of value in the world of work, and as a man, he will always be judged by his earning power in every aspect of life, including his ability to attract a quality mate.

It isn't fair, but it is what it is.

Serena said...

More good points. You are completely right about our family - I was very lonely and socially stinted, but social growth wasn't even encouraged unless it took place 'door-to-door'. Ian won't have that.

And, as you and I have discussed in the past, I felt incredible pressure (whether real or imagined, it was my reality at the time) to get straight A's. Ian won't have that either.

He would stay in the same school and in the same after-school program. He would still have his playdates with his best friend.

I think you are right, too. I can try to give him the best of both worlds - challenge at school, playdates with the buddies at home. He may outgrow the buddies, or make new buddies, but we could adapt.

He is a great thinker already - see his theory on Pluto above - and encouraging that to develop can only be a good thing.

I guess my biggest problem is that I remember how I felt - all too vividly - beginning that school year as a 15 year old senior and ending as a 16 year old graduate. Last year, I went to my high school reunion, and I didn't recognize ANYONE. Names of people would bring images to my mind of their shoes, but I didn't recognize a single face. Everyone, however, recognized me. It dawned on me why: I always held my books close to my chest and kept my eyes glued to the floor.

Ian won't have that.

Soooo, I know other people read my blog -- what do the rest of you think? Thinking