Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The Best of All Worlds

A ballgame, followed by the Buffalo Philharmonic, and ending with the Philharmonic playing the last part of the Overture of 1812 and Stars and Stripes Forever while fireworks lit up the sky. And I forgot to bring along my camera!

Every year the Philharmonic does a tribute to the five branches of the military, and while they play the song of each branch, they request that the members of the audience who are serving or have served in that branch stand and be recognized. After they have recognized all five branches, they then ask the families of those in the military (mothers, fathers, grandparents, sons, daughters, grandchildren, wives, etc.) to also stand and be recognized. Ian thought it was cool that he could stand as his father was a Marine. In my side of the family, we have uncles who served in both the Army and Air Force, and family lore has it my Great-Grandfather Charles was in the Navy. (My Great-Grandfather Oscar was in the Mexican Navy, but I don't think that counts.)

It was only 70 degrees with a slight breeze coming off the lake, so pretty much everyone was comfortable. All in all, a wonderful evening.