Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Cooperstown Bat Company

Our last stop was the Cooperstown Bat Company.


We planned it in time to see a bat-turning demonstration.





Hope and Harry bought the bat he made and will finish it where they work.

***


It is good to be home. I am glad to be single. After spending the weekend in the company of this "happily married couple", I am sure I will never marry again.

Separately, the two of them were fine. Together they drove each other nuts, or at least tried to, spent the weekend trying to get digs in each other (which Hope discussed with her sister, who explained it really isn't bickering, but is actually her putting him in his place, and someday I will choose, for one reason or another, to be in the same situation and will understand), and she wants to return to the 'no men, no kids, no phone' way of doing things and leave Ian home next time, too. I won't do it.

Ian loves Cooperstown so much, it would absolutely break his heart to be left home. Even if I could afford to hire someone to care for him for a long weekend so I could 'get away', I couldn't do it. He was well-behaved, well-mannered and happy. He, the pickiest eater on the planet, even ate his food without complaining. Why leave him home?

A final word on Ringwood Farms Campground... In the past, and one of the reasons why Hope and I revisit this campground every time we go to Cooperstown, is because the place was well-cared for. Grass was mowed, bathrooms were checked on daily, the laundry area was clean. I got the occasional mosquito bite, no big deal, but the campgrounds were attended to.

We arrived early Saturday afternoon and left Tuesday morning around 10 a.m. We spent the entire time with no paper towels in the bathroom and Monday/Tuesday with no toilet paper. The garbage was never emptied the entire time we were there, and the facilities were not checked on in general. The area for washing dishes was in the laundry room, which was obviously not cleaned or checked on. As Hope so aptly put it, "That place was disgusting. I came home and rewashed the dishes." So did I.

Hope and I walked down to the campground office a few times when we were there on Monday, but the office was locked with no number posted to reach whoever was in charge that day. When we checked in, the owner told us he couldn't keep up with the grass because of all the rain, which is understandable, but this year I got myself a nice bunch of chigger bites, which never happened to me before, mowed lawn or not. When we went to check out, the office was again locked, and there was no way to tell anyone we were leaving. I'm sure they've figured it out by now. However,

I think next year we will try a different campground.