Thursday, August 13, 2009

August 13: Corning Glass Museum

I forgot as I was uploading the pictures here that I have to do them in reverse order, and I'm too tired to re-do it, so this entry is end-to-beginning. Sorry!

This is a marble machine that reminded me of the game, Mouse Trap. Ian tried three times, and could only get yellow marbles.


Glass white roses:
...and frosted vases to put them in. These were gorgeous in person:
Some of the items in the gift shop were breathtaking - and so were the stickers. These little decorations were $750 each.
A variety of bowls:
We watched a glass-blowing demonstration (twice). Here, the glass artist is reheating the glass in the furnace, which is kept at 2400 degrees or so. It was rather warm in that room.

Here, a glass artist was making a turtle out of glass.
And here is the glass exhibit you see when you first walk in. It is impressive in person.

I think we will go back again soon and reserve a space to make something ourselves. Ian was very impressed with the whole glass-blowing thing, and especially anything involving fire or blow torches.

Boys. :D