Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Blinded by the Light

So here is my brother, trying to look at the sun.

No, really. He's a very smart guy.

LOL!



Actually, this was in preparation for a little science experiment he did with Ian later in the day.



Michael said...
I was gonna say... what the hell! The sun is behind me!


I never did figure out how to get that damned diffraction grating to work, but I did manage to show Ian the spectral lines from a fluorescent lamp. It's part of the foundation information he needs to understand how we know what stars are made of, and how we know which direction they are traveling.


Serena said...


I couldn't help myself. Actually, if someone looks at the shadows, it's obvious you're not trying to blind yourself. :D


Ian had a great time. I've answered all kinds of questions about the sun, the earth's rotation, gravity, sound and light travel, and all of the questions came from out of the blue. I love it when he thinks. :)