Sunday, November 03, 2013

Darryl Battaglia (ca. 1966 - 2013)

I went to school with Darryl. He was a couple grades below me, but he played hockey, and hockey was (and still is) my second favorite pastime. I remember him fondly; he never made fun of me or tried to bully me like a couple of the other hockey players, and he was always kind. 


His situation was unfortunate.  The summer after he graduated from high school, he went diving into a pond he was unfamiliar with. It was far too shallow, and he became partially paralyzed. What everyone remembers about Darryl, though, was his bigger-than-life personality. Everyone knew the man; no one noticed the wheelchair. 

He was loved by many, and will be missed tremendously. 

From the Buffalo News:

BATTAGLIA - Darryl W. November 3, 2013, husband of Tracy Battaglia; stepfather of Joshua Teufel; son of Dorrie Falise; brother of Andrew, Scott and Michelle; uncle of Kristopher, Candace, Amanda and Nicola DiBartolomeo. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/buffalonews/obituary.aspx?pid=167878024#sthash.U9KGP6rV.dpuf