Monday, July 31, 2017

Dining Experience

A couple months ago, Steven and I decided to go for Chinese takeout at my favorite little local eatery. We stood behind a couple completing their 'to go' order. After the couple left, the little old lady behind the counter was FURIOUS. "He never pay! Every time they come, he never pay! She pay all the time! He Deadbeat!"

Well, you had better believe Steven and I, in a silent joining of the minds, decided that was not the night for me to treat him to dinner. He had his wallet out before we even ordered. Fast forward to this evening...

Steven is working and Ian is hanging with his buddies tonight, so I was left to fend for myself for dinner.  I decided that I haven't had Chinese takeout in a while, so I walked over to get my Chicken Chow Mein to go. The little old lady was behind the counter again. I gave my order, and she said, deadpan, "Okay. Give me all your money."  I started laughing, and she said, "That good, right?" and I said, "Yes - for you!"  She began laughing too, and I realized this was the first time in all these years I've been their customer that I've ever seen her so much as smile.

I was alone in the restaurant and sat at a table waiting. All of a sudden she yells, "Okay! Goodbye!" I laughed again and thanked her, and she launched into a chorus of "Bye Bye Love" as I grabbed my bag. I sang with her as I was leaving, and here it is, three hours later, and I'm still laughing.

I don't even know her name, but I love her!