Thursday, August 10, 2017

Washed Away



One of my family's legends is that my great-grandfather was a rooftop survivor of one of the great floods in Pennsylvania. I'm not sure of the year or the town (it depends on who is telling the story).  I picked up this nook book through Barnes & Noble to start my flood history education.

I'm having trouble putting this book down.  It is told chronologically and separated into sub-chapters by town. It details the lives of the people who both survived and succumbed to the great flood waters at that time. It is interesting, and more often than not, heartbreaking.

I cannot imagine the fear those people must have experienced seeing the waters rise within hours of surviving a tornado outbreak.

I found this map of the area affected by the tornadoes and floods in 1913:

Credit to: http://brisray.com/flood/flood1.htm

(This website, http://brisray.com/, has a well-organized library of pictures/postcards of the flood areas at the time.)

I'm halfway through the book, and I recommend it.