Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Foot Surgery

For the past few months, I've been struggling with a plantar fibroma on the bottom, arch area of my foot. I thought the analogy the doctor gave me was interesting: 

Think of the plantar tendon as a stalk of celery, branching out from the heel to the toes. For some reason, sometimes the tendon frays, like strands of celery do. (Why is not known.) When this happens, the strands bunch up into a knot. Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of that bunched up knot is to have it removed. 

So I did. I will be on crutches for two weeks until the first half of my stitches are removed, then taking it easy until the remaining stitches are removed at the three week mark. After that, it will be another four to six weeks for the inside of my foot to heal, so I will still have to be careful. 


July 10, 2020
Excision of plantar fibroma