Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Michael

My brother had surgery yesterday - a nephrectomy. Here is a link to his blog for more details.

I didn't realize how anxious I was about the whole thing until Jeff called to let me know he was okay. And then I realized I had been subconsciously holding my breath the entire day.

Oh, I tried not to worry. I got up at 5 and thought, "Heck. It's only 2 am there. They're not even up yet." Got to work at 8 and thought, "Let's see. Surgery is at 7:30 HIS time, 10:30 mine, so there's no point in worrying yet." And at 10:30, "They just started. I'm not going to know anything for at least a couple hours." And at 11:30, "It's too soon to start worrying...I'll take my lunch at noon like normal." And at 1:30, "Hmm. It's been two hours, but if they had to take the whole kidney, it'll take longer, so there's no point in worrying yet." And at 2:30, "Jeez. I wonder why he didn't ask the doctor how long this stupid surgery would take." At 3:30, I left my desk to make a copy, jammed the copier, fixed it, came back to my desk and got Jeff's message. And promptly burst into tears.

God I'm glad that's over. Who, me? Worry?

Anyway, the good doctors removed the mass that was growing inside him along with his entire right kidney. They believe it was cancerous, and are running tests. Mike is doing well, and will be hospitalized for three to five days. Further bulletins as events warrant...