Monday, November 19, 2012

Elbow Update

Today, I went to my 7:50 a.m. appointment at Excelsior fully expecting to receive an ultrasound-guided cortisone injection in my left elbow. To say I was not looking forward to it is an understatement. As it turns out, the doctor does not recommend cortisone for my particular problem.  He did an ultrasound examination of my elbow and found scar tissue, tears, and fluid that is not supposed to be there. What he recommends is a whole lot more fun.  It's called a percutaneous needle tenotomy. After treating my poor elbow with a local anesthetic, he will use a needle to stimulate the bone and areas surrounding the existing scar tissue and tears to promote healthy bleeding, inflammation and healing by stimulating the production of growth factor. After this procedure, I will feel worse for about two weeks, but then should steadily improve. I'm not quite sure whether I'm looking forward to this or not. We're waiting for approval from Workers' Compensation, and then we go from there.  

In the meantime, I have a new brace. It's called an elbow strap, and I have to wear it all day. I am also to wear a cock-up splint at night for the carpal tunnel. Whatever works. I'm not complaining, as my friends and family can certainly attest to, but I am tired of the pain.