Saturday, November 07, 2009

Fond Memories of a Baseball Fan

The year was 1967. It must have been, because my Mom was sitting in the rocking chair in the living room, and she was pregnant with my sister. I'll never forget it.

Dad always had the baseball game on TV on Saturday afternoon. I would line up my dolls on the couch (I had three bears and a pink dog), and we would all watch the Game of the Week with Daddy.

I, of course, in the excitement of the game, would root for anyone who scored.

I remember it as if it was yesterday. I cheered to a player scoring a run, and my Dad looked at me and said, very sternly, "NEVER root for the Yankees!" It startled me, and I took him seriously.

Over the years, he repeated this to me, never less passionately, "NEVER root for the Yankees! If the Witch of Endor is playing against the Yankees, we will root for the Witch of Endor!" I had no idea who the Witch of Endor was, but it doesn't matter.

I still can't root for the Yankees.

Michael said...

That's fascinating! I had no idea that he had an opinion that strong about _any_ baseball team!!!

In all of our exchanges, his fondness for the game was the primary take-away...

Serena said...

I asked him once why he felt so strong about the Yanks. He said it was because he always felt cheated. The team spent a ton of money for stars so they always won, and you never got to see 9 complete innings because if they were home, the games only went 8 1/2. He feels they don't play fair in their business dealings. You should see him grin ear-to-ear when Andy Pettitte (one of the Yank pitchers) gets pasted. Well, come to think of it, I do, too. :D