Friday, August 03, 2007

Blue Angels

We had what I consider to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see the Blue Angels. We went to Lake Washington to see their rehearsal for the weekend’s demonstration flights.

It started out as a cloudy day, and I was completely frozen, wearing a sweatshirt and hugging Ian to keep warm:

Jeff kept Ian occupied for a while while we waited:

And then he discovered he could skip stones:


That's my boy:


First, the Patriots Jet Team performed their demonstration rehearsals. We also got to see a VTOL (Vertical Take-Off and Landing) aircraft, which was phenomenal. It can hover in one place just like a helicopter. Before the Blue Angels come out, Fat Albert flies the friendly skies as the warm-up act:

Fat Albert held no appeal for Ian, who would rather keep skipping stones:

And then there they were!


(Photos taken by Michael and Jeff Tabor, 8/3/07)

The rehearsals were incredible. I cannot even imagine having a job where, if I make a mistake, it could cost me my life. They must practice constantly.

Here is a link to the Seattle News for more photos of the Blue Angels: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/photogalleries/2003817877/

Michael said...

The VTOL was a Harrier. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrier_Jump_Jet

Serena said...

Cool! I changed the hyperlink in the text above so everyone gets to the right definition. Thank you!

And More:

Clicking here will take you to my brother’s blog entry and more photos of the air show rehearsals.