Sunday, August 26, 2007

Egg, Bacon and Tomato "Sandwiches"

How can something that tastes so good be found in a cookbook full of 'diet' recipes? Check it out. The recipe serves 4 (or two if you've got large appetites to satisfy), but I halved it for my purposes.

Preheat the oven to 400. Slice a beefsteak tomato into 4 slices. Season both sides with salt and pepper and place them in a non-reactive baking dish. (I used an 8" square glass pan sprayed with Pam.) Spread each tomato slice with dijon mustard. Lightly brown 4 slices of Canadian bacon in a saucepan for two minutes each side, place them on each tomato slice. Put the tomatos in the oven for 10 minutes or until the tomatos start to bubble.

In the meantime, poach 4 eggs in water with a tablespoon of white vinegar in it. (3 minutes will give you a soft center. I like them at 5 minutes, which is partially cook and not very runny.) Put the eggs on top of the tomatos and serve.

Yummy! I've been trying new recipes for a week now - this is the first one I can say is a keeper!