Sunday, March 28, 2010

Twilight Puts Me to Sleep

After fighting it for quite some time now, I finally read (and finished) Twilight. Ian wanted me to read it to see if it was okay for him to read. {heavy sigh} So I did.

It was a fast read. I finished it in less than 4 hours. I thought it was rather boring, and I fought the urge to close my eyes for a nap about half way through. I'm not sure what the allure is. I mean, if you really want to read a vampire tale, shouldn't you pick up something by Anne Rice?

Ian wants me to read the rest of the series ahead of him. I think I'll pass.

Steve said: Twilight?!

Try Terry Pratchett's Nation. If you like that and find it appropriate for your son, Pratchett has about fifty books in the Discworld series. He is excellent. He has won awards for his Tiffany Aching books, based in Discworld. He also has Alzheimers and some day may be forced to stop writing. They are some of the best novels I have ever read.

You can rent Hogfather, a Discworld Christmas movie based on one of the books. Jim Butcher's Dresden Files may be up to snuff. Jasper Forde is fun as well.

If YOU want to read Vampire books for adults, Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake series is good, but after about ten she drifts and replaces plot with sex. And the Southern Vampire books by Charlaine Harris are worth the read. Trueblood, the tv series, is based on them.

I saw the Texas Depression book. Have you ever read Giant? The movie is good but the book is better.

Serena said:
LOL! Thank you so much! Ian wanted to read Twilight, but I wouldn't let him read it until I had read it first. I didn't want him reading inappropriate content, and I wasn't really sure what was in it. He is loving it, but then again, he's 9. I thought it was awful. :D
Vampire books really aren't my thing. I will check out your suggestions for Ian. I, too, am more of a murder mystery type. I have been hooked since I was Ian's age reading "Encyclopedia Brown". Remember those? I moved from that to Agatha Cristie's Murder on the Orient Express. GREAT book by a GREAT author. :D
I love Dick Francis and Mary Higgins Clark (Moonlight Becomes You is one of my favorites, and The Cradle Will Fall). I like more plot than sex. I've read some of the Nora Roberts as JD Robb stuff, and although I find the futuristic cop idea pretty cool, I think the sex in the stories takes away from the stories, if you know what I mean. What murder and mayhem authors would Dawn recommend?

Steve said...
Have you read the Dexter books? Pretty fun. Dawn has been read books by Chelsea Cain. She likes the Kathy Reichs books too.

Pratchett's books aren't just for children. He writes them to be enjoyed by all. Many are mysteries in their own right. One of the few authors will make me laugh and sniffle back a small tear at times. He writes to and about people, things that are universal and strikes home for everyone.

If Ian likes the fantasy stuff, Edgar Rice Burroughs and Howard's Conan books are wonderful. Tarzan kicks a**, and soon the John Carter of Mars movie will be out.

Neil Gaiman is another Brit author with kids' books, like Coraline. You can try American Gods if interested.

Douglass Adams books are worth the read. Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy has been a movie, but the tv miniseries is better.


Serena said...
I LOVED Hitchhiker's Guide -- and I read it LONG before they decided to make it a movie. :D The pages in my hard-covered copy are dog-earred from re-reads.
I think Ian and I will hit the library tonight.

Steve said...
There is the Doc Savage series too. The best and greatest of pulp fiction stories. Superman was based on Doc Savage.

Your library probably carries the original British miniseries of Hitchhiker's Guide. It is very close to the books, unlike the movie.

Serena said...
I thought the Hitchhiker movie stunk. The Erie County Library lets readers reserve copies of whatever they have to your local library by requesting online, so I will request the miniseries online from the Library and have them send it to my library. Life is good!

Steve said...
By the way, American Gods is for adults. Gaiman has a children's line, and a whole bunch of comics. Just in case. Well worth the read and kind of a mystery too.

Lots of great authors, so little time.


Serena said...
I truly enjoyed a few by Rick Riordan, who wrote the Percy Jackson and the Olympian Gods series (that spawned The Lightning Thief). He is writing another children's series, also, called The 39 Clues. Excellent boy stuff - mysteries with history. I am so glad Ian is a reader. Ian also liked Pendragon and wants me to get more of those.
You are SO right -so many great authors, so little time.