Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Windows 7

I recently attempted an upgrade to Windows 7 on my new Dell laptop, which THANKFULLY is still under warranty.

A Dell technician and I misunderstood each other. He asked me if I had backed up all my data. Yes, I replied, I have backed up all my personal files and photos. Okay, said he, because this upgrade will erase them. No problem, I said. All my personal files and photos are on CDs. He began the upgrade for me, and said I should be completely upgraded in about 45 minutes.

Well. Windows 7 erased EVERYTHING - -including my programs!!! My Microsoft Office suite? Gone. Games? Gone. Adobe Acrobat? Gone. My printer and drivers? Gone. My integrated webcam? Gone. What a nightmare.

I figured I could reinstall the programs from the discs that came with the computer. Unfortunately, the discs, which had never been removed from their packaging, arrived damaged. The Microsoft Office CD was actually cracked, and it wasn't noticable until I removed it from the packaging, which it was stuck to. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

By this time I am almost in tears. I called Dell and, of course, was directed to a very nice gentleman whose native language is not English. I believe I understood roughly 3/4 of everything he said. Ultimately, he and his manager took pity on me. They are shipping a new hard drive to me, a factory image of what I had, so I can start from scratch again with what I originally ordered.

Language barriers and lack of technological knowledge cause a whole gamut of problems. I am grateful Dell is making it right with me. I should be up and running at home again in about 4 days.