Wednesday, November 19, 2008

All My Tires are Round...

...so why is my tire monitor idiot light on? And why is it some things come so easily for me (just got a 100 on my Finance test) and things that should be simple come so hard?

Last night I learned how to use a tire pressure gauge. It involved a lot of laughing on Joe's part, and it wasn't easy, but I actually got the little slide rule thing on the end of the tire pressure checking apparatus to pop out and give me a number. Three of my tires say 28, and one says 30. Joe left me with famous last words...

'Somewhere written on the tire is a number followed by PSI, which means pounds per square inch, and that is the number that should be on the gauge. Look at your tires in daylight and you will find it.'

Yeah, right.

There are ALL KINDS of numbers on these stupid tires, accompanied by the fact the tires are made in Korea (isn't anything made in America anymore?), but I could not find this PSI number. I even looked at all four tires, just in case they are all different, but no such luck.

So I’m worrying about my tires the entire drive-on-the-Thruway home, and I’m worrying about my tires when I pick up Ian, because I have no idea what happens when your tires aren’t right, but it sure can’t be good because that idiot light is on, and I get home, pull in the driveway, come inside, my neighbor asks me how my day went, and as I’m telling him about the stupid tires, I’m crying.

And he, of course, is laughing.

Some days I just shouldn’t get out of bed.

So my next questions are… what happens if I get too much air in the tires? Do they pop like balloons?

I really, really, really wish my mechanic was still alive.