Saturday, November 08, 2008

I think I've Entered Another Dimension?

Here are my instructions:

"One or more initial conditions are given for each differential equation in the following exercises. Use the qualitative theory of autonomous differential equations (huh?) to sketch the graphs of the corresponding solutions. Include a yz-graph if one is not already provided. Always indicate the constant solutions on the ty-graph whether they are mentioned or not."

y' = 3 - 1/2y, y(0) - 4, y(0) = 8.

I'm sending out a plea for assistance. Begging, really. I am not ashamed. :D

For some reason, the y-axis is replaced by the z-axis, the x-axis is replaced by the y-axis, and the x-axis itself is nowhere to be found. And according to the answer in the back of the book, the graph on the yz-axis looks different from the graph on the ty-axis, where the y-axis is back to being itself again and the x-axis is really a t-axis.

Any ideas, anyone? Besides, "Begin drinking heavily"?

Jarett said...
I can't help. It's not written in any of the languages I speak.

Evil said...
My BA is Cultural Studies, Anthropology and Psychology. Sorry.

Serena said...
That's okay. I'll keep the "Psychology" part in mind for when this course completely drives me 'round the bend!

Lisa said...
Trust me, you do NOT want me to help and I am sorry to say I don't know anyone. Good luck in your search, though!

Serena said...
Thank you!

Jackie said...
I am not ashamed to say that I could not be able to help you in any way. And good luck w/ that.

Serena said...
Yeah. It appears I need all the help I can get!

Kurt said...
I got your note and you have my sympathy. I used to be pretty good at this stuff, but that was 20 years ago. I tried to refresh my memory on this stuff online and I just couldn’t recall how to do this. You must have some class notes that could help.

Serena said...
Unfortunately, no. I'm taking the class on-line, and there are no class notes or lectures or anything. It's just me and the textbook. I really appreciate your offer, though. I even got in touch with two of my high school math teachers, and they weren't able to help, either.

Joe said...
Change your major.

Serena said...
That thought keeps crossing my mind. Didn't I pick a great time to enter the world of finance?

Eileen said...
Calculus! I give you a lot of credit. I stopped helping the kids in middle school with Math. LOL!

Obiwan said...
The z-axis is 'yaw'. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_dynamics. Excellent footage of crosswinds landings on http://www.youtube.com/. Just type in 'landing in crosswinds' in the search bar.

Jeff said...
Forget about wine... Looks like it's time to hit the 'good' stuff!

Serena said...
God help me. I'm totally screwed.

Jeff said...
Yup. Even HE can't help you now.
Is that a derivative?

Serena said...
Um, I don't think it's a derivative; I think I'm supposed to be graphing these without first solving the problem. There's rules. And I've never been good at following rules!

Jeff said...
LMAO! Must run in the family...

E.W.G. said...
This equals your homework problem.
http://i35.tinypic.com/259v1af.jpg

Serena said...
Perfect! :D