Wednesday, November 05, 2008

President-Elect Barack Obama - It has a nice ring to it!

Every year, on Election Day, I make my way to my polling place and vote. I make sure I bring Ian with me.

We spoke this year about the importance of the presidential election, about trickery, lying and fear, but most of all, we talked about how important it is to do your homework.

What eight-year-old boy likes homework? Certainly not this one.

But by my example, seeing me hit internet sites, asking questions, watching the debates, asking more questions, reading different papers, hitting more internet sites, and asking even more questions, I hope to teach him that voting is not just a privilege. It is a duty and a responsibility, one to be taken very, very seriously.

Today, I am proud to be an American. We took a giant step away from our sordid past of bigotry, racism and tyranny. We spoke up and said, yes, we need change.

Throughout the course of the day, I heard many people express many of their fears, fears that the Republican party did a great job of sowing. I say to them, give President-Elect Barack Obama a chance. Have faith. More than 63 million voters cannot all be wrong. Sleep well.

He is not going to put our children in danger, leave our military unsupported, take away our second amendment right to bear arms, let our small businesses go under because of unfair business practices, send our jobs to Kenya, or let terrorists overrun our country. That is what the Republican party would have you believe. Open your minds. Do your homework, and make sure you look outside the box the Republican party has so carefully and relentlessly constructed around you. Use the Internet and feel free to check out what other countries are saying about us. Explore the world while you look for your answers. It is enlightening.

It will take a long time to overcome the damage, erosion, and destruction of our economy, and, indeed, our trust, that the past eight years of Rethuglican Rule has brought upon us. President-Elect Obama will not be able to overcome this overnight. Give him time.

President-Elect Obama worked hard to earn our votes, and will work hard to continue to earn our trust. Support him.

I woke up this morning, heard the news, and felt an overwhelming sense of relief and hope. We did good yesterday. We truly did.