Saturday, November 15, 2008

NOW We're Talkin'!

"I shouldn’t have to start each Christmas morning with a needle nose pliers and wire cutters."

JEFFREY P. BEZOS, the Amazon founder and a supporter of easy-to-open packaging.

NYTimes.com, 11/15/08 Quotation of the Day

I cannot TELL you how frustrating it is to try to get the packages open...the twist ties, tape, little practically invisible rubber bands, black plastic strips that everything winds through, tiny screws and even glue, all of this inside a plastic sealed package that an ordinary pair of scissors cannot cut through. I have stabbed myself, cut myself, and even broken a pair of wire cutters trying to get Ian's gifts open. Packaging has become more and more ridiculous as time has gone on.

I have resorted to getting the presents open before I wrap them, just to avoid all the frustration on a morning that should be Fun! I hope Mr. Bezos can pull this off!

The link to the New York Times article about packaging is here. You may need to sign up for an on-line New York Times account, but it's free. And it's a great article.