Thursday, October 30, 2008

Rest In Peace

Mark G. Hirschorn, law firm senior partner

Mark G. Hirschorn of East Amherst, a senior partner with the law firm Siegel, Kelleher & Kahn, died Monday in the Center for Hospice & Palliative Care, Cheektowaga, after a long illness. He was 62.

Born in New York City, he received his bachelor’s degree from Hofstra University in 1968 and his law degree from the University at Buffalo in 1971.

The next year, he joined Siegel, Kelleher & Kahn, where he eventually became partner, specializing in matrimonial law.

Mr. Hirschorn was a past chairman of the matrimonial and family law committee of the Buffalo Bar Association, served on the Executive Committee of the Family Law Section of the New York State Bar Association and lectured in matrimonial bar seminars. He has been listed in every edition of “Best Lawyers in America.”

He was a member of the board of managers of the New York Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. He also served in the Army Reserve, attaining the rank of captain.

Surviving are his wife of 38 years, the former Babette Oehlbert; a daughter, Valerie Frank; a son, Daniel; and a sister, Phyllis Goldberg.

Services will be at 2 p. m. Thursday in Temple Beth Am, 4660 Sheridan Drive, Amherst.


A couple months ago, a memo went around the firm asking if anyone would be willing to donate platelets to Mark, as he had reached a stage in his illness where he needed daily infusions of platelets to survive. A few of us donated platelets at Roswell to help out. Even though the nurses at Roswell are friendly, cheerful and caring, I never want to have reason to be admitted there. My heart went out to Mark and his family.

Even though I have been with the firm for over two years, I only met Mark once. What he said to me will stay with me for a long time. I was having an extremely busy day at work when I first started with the firm, and I somehow let the day go by without taking a break for lunch. He cautioned me to never let that happen again. "There is always time to take care of yourself. Make the time." A wise man.

I went to the service today, the first time I had been in a synagogue. The service was beautiful, a poignant mix of blessings, laughter and tears. Mark will be fondly remembered and sorely missed by many.